Monday, March 12, 2012

Mi Piacciono I Vini in Chianti!


This weekend our friend Stephen invited us out to a small town about 45 minutes outside of Florence for a wine tasting at La Poggerina Vineyard.  Stephen's landlord was such a doll and set up the entire trip for us! She told us exactly which train to get on and when we arrived she picked us up and drove us to the vineyard.


Our tour was very interesting especially since both the men talking to us couldn't speak english!  Luckily JoAnna was able to translate for us, but I found myself intently listening trying to comprehend at least the basics of what was being said.

The winery was originally a monastery years ago before being closed and then later restored.  We were guided by an older Italian man who we were told to call "Padre."  I'm not quite sure if he was a priest or not...I didn't know how to ask him in italian!


We got to see the oak barrels inside the winery and how they're kept for a certain amount of years depending on the type of wine.  Right now the vines are resting so this isn't the best time to see beautiful vines with grapes on them, however it was still neat to see what an actual vineyard looks like!


The best part of the day was mainly the weather!  The sun was shining and a slight breeze made our day delightful.  Of course we left carrying a famous Chianti Classico bottle of wine as well as a bottle of Olive Oil all made at the vineyard.

Days like these are one of the reasons I chose to study in Florence.  Great weather, good wine, and adventuring out with wonderful friends!


Yesterday marked exactly 2 months left until we come home!  It's still weird to me that I've been living in another country, away from home, for almost half a semester.  My time abroad will be the longest I've ever been away from home!

These next few days are going to be rough with midterms, but luckily Friday starts SPRING BREAK!  Mina, Josie, and I will be adventuring to the fabulous cities of Berlin, Paris, London, and Dublin!

No comments:

Post a Comment